Enforcement of the General Data Protection Regulation - One Year Ahead
GDPR – One Year Ahead!
The General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (GDPR) was enforced on the 25th of May, 2018 in all Member States, aiming to protect personal data across EU. The introduction of the GDPR was one of the biggest alterations in privacy legislation and since the enforcement of the Regulation more than 59,000 complaints reported to the European Data Protection Authorities.
The Office of the Commissioner for Personal Data Protection in Cyprus, constituting the Independent Supervisory Authority for the Protection of the Individual in Cyprus, has published statistics concerning the degree of compliance during the first year since the GDPR was introduced.
According to the formal announcement made by the Commissioner’s Office, since the implementation of GDPR, it:
- has received 424 complaints, of which 135 concerned marketing messages (spam), other unauthorized access / disclosure of personal data, non-compliance with the right of access and including complaints concerning the legality of CCTV;
- has received 49 disclosures of personal data breach;
- has issued 16 decisions, 9 of which it has imposed penalties in the region of EUR 36,900;
- has received declarations for Data Protection Officers from 442 organisations within the public sectors and 828 within the private sectors; and
- has carried out 9 own-initiative investigation and routine checks.
On the basis of the above, it is evident that people are keen to exercise their rights on data protection and have no hesitation to express their complaints formally to the Commissioner’s Office.
Further detailed information concerning data publicized by the Commissioner on the above topics can be found of the Commissioner’s website at www.dataprotection.gov.cy.
Argyropoulou & Associates LLC offers a wide range of privacy and data protection services locally and internationally. For further information on this subject and/or for specific legal advice please contact us at email@example.com.